From the inception of KBFLC, community outreach and giving back to the community was and still is the focus of the organization. Over the past three years of our existence we provided the following to the community.
- Community Kids Day in Fountain – This event has provided a fun free day for children, their families and the community to receive free dental screening and oral health education. Watch performances from local talents and listen to music, field day activities for the kids, local business attended to showcase their products and various community organizations provided information and resources.
- Back to School Bash in Colorado Springs at Cimarron Eastridge Park – Free food, entertainment, basketball tournament and Free backpack of school supplies.
- Thanksgiving Baskets – We have given away each year 10 Thanksgiving Baskets to needy families in the Southeast side of Colorado Springs
- Blessings Bags – We have put together over 25 large Ziploc bags filled with toiletry items, socks, snacks $2-$5 in change and a bible verse each year to Homeless men and women throughout Colorado Springs.
- Emergency Assistance –
- We paid for a single mother of 2 brakes to get fixed. The car was dangerous for her to drive and she needed the vehicle to get to work.
- We provided a bus ticket for a young mother to return back home. She arrived in Colorado with hopes of starting over and found herself in a domestic violence situation.
- We provided 5 clothing outfits a piece for 3 program participants who did not have clothes to start back to school with.
Lisa raised three children on her own after she escaped her first marriage that was filled with domestic abuse. Her experience with trying to find dedicated and consistent mentors for her two sons was difficult. She knew she did not want any other parent to have the same struggle that she did so she knew something needed to be done. She believed in the old African Proverb “It Takes A Village to help raise a child” and because of that one personal experience with her sons “Project Right Direction” a mentoring, educational and empowerment program was implemented in August of 2015.
In 2016, her first passion to assist Domestic Violence victims became a reality and KBFLC’s 1st Domestic Violence Support Group was implemented. We welcome both men and women survivors and victims to express their thoughts and feelings and share. Our interactive groups help victims realize that they are not alone. Our meetings are confidential and we offer a nurturing and open environment to talk with other victims.